It has been an eventful couple of weeks. About two weeks ago bites began to show up all over my body. As the week progressed I began to accumulate more and more bites until my entire neck was covered with bites and I had a line of six bites across my face. I washed my sheets and a sanitized my section of the attic but they continued. It was also strange because none of my roommates were getting bug bites. I moved downstairs for a couple of nights and I stopped receiving bites during the night! After a week and a half we decided it was time to contact JVC and talk about getting an exterminator to inspect our house. This came at an “unfortunate” time as I was conveniently leaving that weekend for Spokane for my mom’s wedding. So on Friday the exterminator confirmed that we had bed bugs, or rather, I had bed bugs and we must move out of the attic. I am surprised my roommates are still speaking to me because they had to move all of my stuff out while I was "vacationing" in Spokane. That is a joy of communal living; there were seven people to help clean out the attic in my absence. If anything this bed bug problem has brought us closer!
The exterminator claims that the bed bug problem was my fault, and I brought them from Spokane to Portland. Of course Portland would not have bed bugs. This is just one hilarious example of the fact that Portlanders believe their city is far superior to any other.
While my roommates were dealing with bed bugs I was at home celebrating my mom’s wedding! I arrived in Spokane Friday morning and was busy all weekend. I was able to spend time with Becky before she leaves for Germany which was such a blessing. Taylor and I spent the rest of the day running errands for the wedding. That evening was the rehearsal dinner. It was incredible. For dinner we have delicious pulled pork and instantly I decided I was no longer a vegetarian. I had actually been a vegetarian an entire month until the day before when my office ordered pepperoni pizza for lunch and I could not resist. Maybe I will try to be a vegetarian again…tomorrow! The rehearsal dinner was really beautiful and meaningful. My mom and Jerry thanked each person individually for their love and support throughout the years…by the end of the night there was not a dry eye at the dinner. Later in the evening I got to spend some quality time with my college friends. I love my community in Portland, but it was so nice to be with people who really know me and get me.
Saturday morning was the day we had all been waiting for…the wedding. Of course my mom and Jerry decided it would be in the morning and that there would be no alcohol or dancing…boring…but the ceremony and reception were actually quite nice. The ceremony was beautiful and a little long but we sang some of my favorite hymns and all the wedding guests took communion. It was so cool to see how excited everyone was for my mom and Jerry. Also my roommates from college were there which was really special because they know and love my family. The reception was fun and the waffle and omelet bars were delicious. People even politely laughed at my attempts to be funny while giving my toast. Overall the day was wonderful and the fact that my mom got married did not really sink in until I went home that evening and it was just my sister and I in the house. However my feelings of excitement for my mom overweigh my dislike of change and fear of the unknown.
Sunday morning my friend Nils and I were commissioned at First Presbyterian Church. I really enjoyed returning to the church of my childhood. I was disappointed that I did not get to attend New Community, the church I went to during college but being back in a familiar location was really comforting. I felt liked I belonged to a church. I knew the words to the songs, I knew when to stand and when to sit, and most importantly I felt welcomed.
Random Note:The thing that has surprised me the most about my experience thus far is that I realize how much I value communion and the ability to take communion with other believers. At my mom’s wedding all of the guests take communion and I felt strangely comforted by this.
This past weekend at home was wonderful; it was so good to see family and good friends and celebrate. However, I was excited to return to Portland as I am slowly starting to feel more and more settled here.
No comments:
Post a Comment